Saturday 5 March 2011

A day at the races

Apple Crisp for dessert last night

Today the competition started in earnest. Petr, Nathan, Trevor, and I were in the 30 km skate. Natalya had the 15km skate race. For the guys it was an early start to the day. We headed up the mountain and were there 2 hours before the start on a foggy and humid morning. We had to wait around for an hour or so before we started warming up and heading to the race start. 

Allan and Trevor pre-race

At the race start we were lined up in 20 rows across the start line and 3 or 4 deep. These were positions were pre-set. Somehow I got the pole position, lane 1, row 1 (the middle lanes were actually the better ones).



Then we were off!


Allan 
My legs immediately felt like lead. It soon became apparent this would be a suffer-fest. A DNF loomed large, but a very long two hours later I crossed the finish.








...and I managed to beat 3 guys in my age group. I do not think I have ever been more tired after a race. The altitude really got to me.
How Allan really felt
Trevor and Petr were in the same race as I, and both reported suffering quite a bit. Nathan did well and showed no ill effects.

Trever at finish

Natalya was very happy with her 11th pace finish. 
Coach Natalya showing us how it is done.

Miss "creme brule" at the finish

Evening (and soreness) is setting in while the pasta is being cooked and the fluorocarbon waxes are being broken out again.

1 comment: