Thursday 10 March 2011

Long distance racing...

Allan during 45 km
Hi all,

First off sorry about the video. Apparently it is too big for the vast majority of systems to view. Visualize, if you will, snow laden trees while Natalya does some flawless one-skate. She says "I feel like I am in Narina", after which Trevor (the videographer) replies "Are you the white witch?".

Also, sorry about the lack of updates for today. I was one of three people who did the 45 km skate-ski event today, and it was my turn to cook dinner at the house. It has not come up much on the blog (other than the "brulee chicken"), but the meals here have been outstanding - almost competitive. As many of you know my wife is a superb cook and some of it has rubbed of on me. We had a puttanesca pasta, Chillian bean and tomato salad, and a berry medley for desert.

Back to the  racing.... I had a personal best. I do love getting faster while aging. I wanted to break 3 hours and finished in 2:45 so I am very happy with my result. In fact the first 30 km, was faster than last week's 30 km race. Clearly the altitude effects have worn off.

Nathan (2nd from right)

Coach Petr showing us how it is done


For dinner tonight we had a house guest, Dave McMahon, the well known Ottawa skier, coach, teacher, and videographer. There are no pictures of Dave eating, but here he is during the 45 km skate:



My 9 teammates who didn't ski today did a great job cheering us on. So much so that at one point the guy in front of me asked "Are you some sort of celebrity?" 

Oh, and did I mention, 45 km is very tiring:

Allan recovering after 45 km






No comments:

Post a Comment